Tuesday, May 10, 2011

THE BLESSING IN YOUR DISABILITY


I once read the story about Cass Daley. She was the daughter of a street–car conductor. She wanted to be a singer but she had something that she considers her weakness. She had this large mouth and an obtruding buck tooth, which she tries to hide anytime she wants to sing. The first time she tries to sing was in New Jersey nightclub. While singing, “She tried to pull down her upper lip to cover her teeth” acting as if all was well with her, but it was just acting. She was not being herself. A man who heard her sing in this club saw an emerging talent with weakness in her then he decided to confront her after the show. The man told her to stop hiding the buckteeth, that she should open her mouth wide and sing. The man also told her that that very tooth she was trying to hide could make her fortunes.

Even though Cass Daley was embarrassed, she took this advice seriously and acted on them. She forgot about her buckteeth and concentrate on her audience. She opened that mouth wide and sang with such enthusiasm that she became a top star in the movies industries and radio. Today other comedians are trying to emulate her example. You too can become a star. That thing you consider your weakness or disability if positively viewed can make you fortunes. This is because in every disability there are abilities. Your disabilities are those things that dissuade and disable you from actualizing the potentials of your natural and mental abilities. They are those visible weaknesses that tend to weaken the potentials of our talents. Your disability could be an opportunity for you to discover your hidden ability. Don’t be discouraged by them. You are not the only ones with disabilities. We all have one disability or another in our lives. Don’t let your disability stops you from discovering your abilities. Do you know what to do with your disability? Put them into God’s hands and move on. This is the secret of successful men and women throughout history.

“And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
(2 Cor 12:6-10)

This great man of God prayed thrice that God should remove his disability, which he referred to here as “thorns in the flesh”, but God did not answer him. All that God said to him is that “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness”.

I think grace from God is what will all need to surmount our disabilities. The grace of God can see us through any circumstances in life. So, instead of worrying about your disability lean on the grace of God. His grace is more powerful than your weaknesses. Entrust Him with the use of your talents and your life. Let Him guide you. Let him help you. Lean on his mighty wings. He can never let you down. Even when things seem rough, he will make you stronger than you think you are. This is the reason Apostle Paul was able to say “for when I am weak, then am I strong”. From now on, do not allow your disabilities stop you from fulfilling your destiny using your talent.

The discovery of your talent is like the discovery of gold or diamond from the depth of the earth. The next thing that you will need to do after discovering your talent will be seen in the next chapter that you are about to turn to now. God bless you.

1 comment:

  1. What is your own weakness? Will you let it stop you from fulfilling your destiny in life? We all have one disability or the other in our lives. What is your own and how are you managing it. You can share your thought with me in this blog. Let me know what you think. How should will manage our disability so that it does not stop us from fulfilling our purpose on earth?

    Olamide M. Adesanya

    ReplyDelete